Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Minnesota Writers

Those of you who know me well know that I have been a regular user of Twitter for over two years now. Call me an early adopter, or maybe just a geek, but I like to think that I saw potential in Twitter long before CNN made it a regular practice of trolling Twitter feeds for news.

Twitter is an amazing communication tool. With it, you can broadcast every thought, from the profound to the banal, to just about anyone and everyone. In the early days there weren't that many people on Twitter and it was really easy to find unique and interesting people to follow just by watching the public Twitter feed. Nowadays, Twitter has been overrun by the masses and it can be difficult to find people of interest.

Apparently I'm not the only one who noticed that.

A wonderful solution to this problem was launched just last week. It’s a new Twitter feature called Lists. A Twitter list is exactly like it sounds, a list of Twitter users. There's a website out there called Listorious that lets you list your list and it's really astonishing how many lists have popped up there over the course of the last week.

Not wanting to be left out (remember the geek part) I created a list of my own. I call it Minnesota Writers. My goal is to find Minnesota based Twitter using writers and add them to this list. I think a list like this could be a really interesting way for the Minnesota Twitter community to keep in touch and stay abreast of issues that affect us.

And now for the sales pitch: if you are a Minnesota writer, and a Twitter user, leave a comment on the blog and I'll add you to the list.  I have already added all Twitter using members of The Scribblerati, plus a couple of others, so log on and follow Minnesota Writers!

3 comments:

John Kipling said...

Hi. Hey, I'm a Minnesota writer and I use Twitter all the time. I saw your list and thought I should throw my name into the hat. I write speculative fiction, comic book scripts, and profane yet comical graffiti on airport bathroom walls. (I was hired by an airline to write catchy graffiti making fun of the food on Delta.) I hope there is no other initiation rite or hazing other than this posting. I did fight Ernest Hemmingway once in a fight to the death. As evidence, I submit the proof that I am still alive while he is not. And since no one REALLY knows how he died... well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Name: John Kipling
Twitter Handle: winstonbongo

Qlaudie said...

Thanks, Mr. Kipling. I'm really happy to know what actually happened to Mr. Hemmingway. I, myself, am related to Henry David Thoreau. I know that has nothing to do with what you wrote, but I like to drop it into conversation whenever I can.
Hey, Shawn - Can we include Neil Gaiman in this group? I know he lives in WI, but he visits the Twin Cities a lot. And stuff. Also, I'm not related to him, but I could be.

Q

Shawn Enderlin said...

Neil Gaiman...

Headpalm