Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Hump Day Surprise: Star Wars!

As I write this Star Wars Celebration V is in full swing. I see the tweets from the fellow Legion of Geek and while Star Wars has been a huge part of my life I can't say that I'm at all jealous of those who are there. While I may still pick up the occasional Star Wars comic or novel, I think that Star Wars is mostly done for me. I don't mean dead, I just mean done, a past chapter of my life, like college. It's something I'll look on fondly, maybe even revisit once in a while, but I don't think it will ever again be as all-encompassing as it used to be.

That said, there are times, like this, when I find myself thinking back to all the fond memories. Everything from sitting in the theater, trying not to pee in my Tough Skins while Luke, Han, Leia, & Chewbacca are getting smashed by the trash compactor , to the total madhouse midnight Toys "R" Us opening for Phantom Menace merchandise.

I think one of my favorite memories would have to be in the Special Editions first came out. I remember sitting in the theater with my lovely wife. The place was amped. People were practically bursting with excitement. Some guy in the front kept yelling “Chewie!” Then, chills went down my spine as the 20th Century Fox anthem played, the trumpet fanfare blared, and STAR WARS flashed onto the screen. The scroll rolled, we saw Tatooine, Leia’s Rebel Blockade Runner, laser flash, and Darth Vader’s Imperial Star Destroyer filling the screen.

Classic.

What's your favorite Star Wars memory?

4 comments:

Mark T said...

Star Wars memory: standing in a long line with some friends before Return of the Jedi and someone else in line gave away one of the big surprises (Luke/Leia's relationship). People in the line were not happy. Didn't spoil the movie for us. It was the Ewoks that did that. Stupid Ewoks.

Jon said...

I don't know if this is a FAVORITE memory, but I remember the first time we were going to Empire and I had been so excited, for days, weeks, months, I could barely stand it. Then the fateful day finally arrived and on the way to the theatre... I got sick. I was barfing in a brown paper bag in the back seat of the car screaming, "I'm okay," BAAAAARF, "I can still go!" BAAAAAARF! We had to wait a whole other week.

It was the longest week of my long life.

Side note: Everytime I see one of those Star Wars MMO trailers, I get those old chills, they remind me of how great Star Wars can be.

trailer #1

trailer #2

Oh so good...

Jon said...

Longest week of my YOUNG life...

Lisa said...

The summer Star Wars came out, my family took a car trip from Maine to California, so I saw the movie on both coasts. Stores across the country were selling "May the Force be with You" t-shirts. I felt such community, all of us connected by the force. So imagine my horror when, first, Lucas decides that some of us (Anakin) have more force than others of us (No! The force is egalitarian, not hierarchical!) and THEN the movie theatre in Maine (aka The-Theatre-Where-I-First-Saw-STAR-WARS) was turned into one of those new-fangled, ultra-conservative, non-denominational evangelical churches. NOOOO! You are tromping on my childhood, people!