At its heftiest, my WIP came in at 128,119 words. Most middle grade novels run 40-60,000. For the Math Phobics and Lazyheads, Once We Were Bears clocked in two to three times over standard length.
So, yup, I've been working on paring mine down. First I deleted peripherial characters, (RIP FiveLeg, you sweet, mutant frog.) I slashed scenes better ones had parallel purposes. I excised, I truncated, I thinned. I clipped, sheared, mowed...
Oops, what I really I meant to say is: I cut.
And then I gave the whole, slightly trimmer beast to the Scribblerati, who made fantastic suggestions. And then...
Yes, and then I added.
So now I'm back to subtracting. I thought I had all the fluff out last time around. I was wrong; still finding lots of superfluous words and sentences. (No more scenes or chapters tho'.)
Apparently, I love the word "that." I use it all the time, unnecessarily.
Beryl thought that she'd rescued Fiveleg from the poisoned pool.
Beryl thought she'd rescued Fiveleg from the poisoned pool.
Today's word count: 110,933.
That's 17, 186 already gone.
Back to the scissors.