Friday, March 30, 2012

Book Concept in a Shadow Box

During March (and now soon during April) I’ve been working on my second novel in progress, SUNLIGHT. I’m trying to write as many words as I can, filling in the pieces of my now 3/4-done first draft. It’s going pretty well. So far I’ve put together a pretty solid outline and written about 12,000 more words (to add onto the 30,000+ I already had), so I’m happy with all that.

Just for fun, I decided to put together my own “Cornell Box” for my book SUNLIGHT. Joseph Cornell was an artist who used commonplace objects set into small boxes to create visual poems to express ideas and emotions.

So, here is a photo of my book idea, boiled down into some items I was able to scrounge up around my house and arrange in a box.

I’m not sure I’m done with my Cornell Box just yet. Many of the key elements are there—but it’s missing a few things that represent important moments and characters. To be honest it probably needs more fire, darkness, bone and blood, pine trees, starlight and curtains fluttering in cold, spring breeze—and a cat. But I’m keeping my eyes out. It’s interesting what the universe will sometimes provide when you open up the artistic parts of your mind.

Some actual samples of Joseph Cornell’s work.http://www.josephcornellbox.com/gallery_menu01.htm

6 comments:

Jon said...

Awesome, Mark. That's really cool. I can't wait to read your new book. I've been in a bit of a lull the past few weeks as far as writing goes. I'm leaning over into the back half of my new WIP and just about to dig in, but it's not quite gelling yet. I'm aiming for Sunday as a big writing day (hopefully).

See you tomorrow night at the Big Book Launch

Shawn Enderlin said...

Ha! Very cool. I had no idea you were writing a story that had Batman in it. ;-)

PS Jon, have a great time tonight!

Shawn Enderlin said...

Ha! Very cool. I had no idea you were writing a story that had Batman in it. ;-)

PS Jon, have a great time tonight!

Mark Teats said...

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Not Batman, per se... unless DC gives the OK ;-)

I'm excited to finish it up to a point where I can start sharing it. Getting closer, closer, closer...

Lisa said...

I love this Mark!
I think we should all do this. We can auction them off when we're famous; donate the money to some worthy, writerly cause.

Qlaudie said...

That is so cool!