Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Godzilla!

Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster was one of the first movies I ever went to. I was about eight years old, and not to date myself too much, but this was the era when parents didn’t seem to worry about their kids. My friend Brian (also eight-years old) and I were dropped off by my mom at the local theatre with enough money to buy some tickets and a pack of Milk Duds. The audience was filled with elementary school kids just like us, there to see the Lizard King up on the big screen. Godzilla (and the Smog Monster, Hedora) delivered exactly what we wanted. There were explosions, mutated monsters stomping buildings, monsters punching the crud out of each other (with the Smog Monster you can take that literally). We were in heaven.

Now, more years later than I’d like to admit later, Godzilla is once again on the big screen—for the 29th (?!) time. In my family the apple doesn’t fall far from the Kaiju tree, apparently. Last weekend my son chose to take a group of his friends to see Godzilla for his belated 11th birthday party. You guessed it, there were explosions, mutated monsters stomping buildings and monsters punching the crud out of each other. When the movie was over, I asked the kids how they would describe Godzilla (the movie or the monster) in one or a few words. Here’s what they had to say:

Godzilla is:
Invincible
Tough
The best
Hard to kill
A protector
Unbelievable
Awesome
Exciting
Action-packed
BOSS


When asked to rate the new movie on a scale of 1 to 10, my son’s response was:
“Infinity.”

What did I think of the movie? I’m usually happy to give away some spoilers, but I have plans to see Godzilla again with some friends next weekend, so I’ll let you discover the movie for yourself. I do recommend it and agree with the kids’ assessment(s) above.

For me the Godzilla movie delivered. It has some good effects and a few surprisingly human moments for a kaiju film. Godzilla the monster kicked butt. What would I give it on a scale of 1 to 10?

My inner 11-year old says: Infinity.


~ Mark
@ManOwords










1 comment:

Jon said...

The reveal on Hawaii was the best. Love it. such a good time at the movies.